Saturday, August 21, 2010

How much will adding a closet increase the value of my house?

I am adding a closet to a room that didn't have a closet. I guess now this room would be considered a bedroom now. How much does that increase the value of the house on average.How much will adding a closet increase the value of my house?
Depends on how large the room is and how small the closet will make it look.


adding a closet turns a den into a bedroom and will probably add


25 to 50% more value than what you spend to add it.





example: if you spend $300 to build it, the value it adds to the house should be between $375 to $450 more to the appraised value.


However listing a 4 bedroom home versus a 3 bedroom home would probably add $5k -$10k to the value if it is a large room.





adding a closet to a 12x12 room will only make the room look very small and not very attractive.


but adding a closet to a 15x20 room will certainly make a potential buyer take notice.How much will adding a closet increase the value of my house?
I don't know about value, but it is a building code to have a closet in every sleeping room.
It would be according to how large the closet is and how much you decrease the size of the bedroom.
The adding of a bedroom adds marketability and thereby additional value. But you're not adding square feet and that is really what would increase the value in terms of money.
I honestly don't think it would increase much in the way of $$, but it might bring more interested buyers through your house and increase the changes of selling. Depending on the cost, I probably wouldn't do it unless I needed the additional space for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment