Saturday, August 21, 2010

How much does good landscaping increase the value of your home?

I'm landscaping in my front and backyard using plants and flowers that are pretty much mowable and does not requires much maintance at all. Mostly groundcover to aid in less mowing time. How much will this increase the value of my home?How much does good landscaping increase the value of your home?
Well Serena, it really depend on what you intend to do with it. I have a Courtyard you walk through when you walk to my front doors and there are lava rock beds on either side of you and then I built a beautiful pond in the shape of a butterfly, with lights under the water and larger rocks around the pool, and of course beautiful shrubs as we are so famous for our beauty here in New Orleans, La. The courtyard is also trimmed from above with lighting in the eves, and a long chain swing hangs beneath the front porch for added Southern Comfort. This has been estimated to increase my home by approx. $20,000.00.How much does good landscaping increase the value of your home?
It will increase the value of your home exactly 2,112 dollars. That figure will change depending on about a million variables so good luck with that.
You may have to do a bit more than that, but figure that landscaping will bring you back about 150% of what you pay for it. It is the only household improvement that more than pays for itself.
It depends on how much you put into it. You are supposed to get a 85% return on landscaping your yard.





Good Luck!
It's hard to say by your description.





Done well, it can add a LOT to your home. You'll recoop between 10% - 75% depending on the job and your location.





A few things:





1) Does it look good? Does it look professional? Less is often more for landscaping unless you hire a professional.





2) Are you just putting it in to make it less maintenance? If this is so, I would rethink it. Sometimes plants that are 'mowable' tend to look like weeds. Sad by true.





3) Less is more (it's back!) - let's say you want to sell it next year and invest $5K in flowers. It looks amazing and colorful. Let's say a buyer comes to your house and is interested but sees so many flowers. Even if it's NOT high maintenance, guess what they'll think? ';That's just too much for me to take care of. Let's move on.';
Good for you! This simple activity will bring your home's value $5,000 to $10,000 dollars higher! It depends on the quality of your landscape. Good luck and have fun!
';Curb appeal'; is what really counts. But don't go overboard. Talk to a real estate agent and they will tell you exactly what will help sell a house.





You don't want to over-do the back yard. If the new owners want gardens they will put them in themselves. Young families with children want a back yard where the children can run and play. Dads want to play ball.





DO NOT PUT IN A SWIMMING POOL if you intend to sell your home. Most parents do not want pools.
Very much when added to the value of it all, that's the first thing people look at.
I agree with the previous posters. If your just putting ground covers in for less mowing time thats a bad idea. Maybe think about putting in low maintenance plants like hostas, daylilies and maybe some shrubs around the front of your houses foundation if you have nothing at all done? Landscaping adds alot of value to your house and its a good first impression of your home. I would definitely add more to the front versus the back. I am an avid gardener i will admit I am outside everyday the weather permits and have about 2000 plants in my front yard. I love gardening so I dont mind the maintenance. In my backyard I have about 30 rose bushes along the back of my houses foundation so not near as much ( yes people like more room in the backyard if they have a small one, I dont just havent got to do so much back there yet) When I moved in to my house there was absolutely nothing done to the front yard. Now I always have people commenting on how I transformed a plain house into the best one on my street and the only thing that has been changed is the landscaping. So try some color. Hostas and daylilies are extremely easy and require hardly any care.I think you'll be surprised at what a difference it will make. and if you really want the professional look some kind of retaining block is a must. no matter how much $ you put into your landscaping, im sure you will get it back if you ever sell.
  • mortgage rate
  • hair stylist cut
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment